3.10.2008

Balance

I seem to have a problem (get in line, right?).  I have a difficult time finding balance in life.  It seems for as long as I can remember I tend to throw everything I have at something, while neglecting other aspects of my life.  I don't stop until I'm so busy that I have to schedule time to eat.  

My current major endeavor is graduate school.  I am thoroughly enjoying my studies and am taking an enormous amount of knowledge and personal growth from the experience, but at what cost?  Whenever I try to read a book for pure enjoyment or watch a movie, something inside of me sends a rush of guilt through my body.  I experience an this overwhelming feeling and beat myself up because I'm not studying.  I view school as my main "job" at the moment and so I think that if I'm not investing the majority of my time and my self toward it, I'm somehow failing. 

This is flawed thinking, I know.  I have to allow myself time to relax and recharge my batteries.  I can't possibly spend every waking minute studying and thinking about human behavior (psychology is my field of study).  I'll get burnt out before I even start practicing.  I have a tendency to pour my heart and soul into things and before I know it, I'm burnt out and need a break (as evidenced partly in my previous career as a teacher).  

Now, I don't think these guilty feelings are all that bad.  They certainly help me to stay on task and get things accomplished.  However, I do need to keep things in check and allow my self some fun every now and then.

Well, not the most exciting post - but just some thoughts.

No comments: