8.06.2008

We're stuck

In a few weeks the city of St. Paul will be taken over by the GOP.  As a mild political junkie and one who loves huge events, I'm excited to see the spectacle that is a political party convention (although it would be MUCH more exciting were it the Democrats coming to town).  It will certainly be a great thing for the Twin Cities of Minnesota to take the national stage for a few days (albeit for Republicans).  

My hope is that, in this fairly blue state, we are respectful and rational hosts to the less-than-perfect party.  In a time when this country's government seems to be dead locked and unable to get anything accomplished, even though overwhelming majorities are begging for a different course, it is time that all parties have civil conversations with one another.

I watch, daily, the back and forth between political adversaries.  Both pointing fingers, none better than the other.  Each proclaiming the faults of the dissenting party, while not proposing ideas to cure or offering an invitation to dialogue.  I say this with utmost seriousness:  it's like watching 9 year olds go back and forth on the playground.  Nothing gets accomplished and no one is willing to admit they are wrong.

We were told that this presidential election was going to be different (by both presumptive party nominees).  So far, I haven't seen how anything has been different.  Both candidates are continuing the pathetic tradition of 'point finger and triangulate.'  I can admit that I am not as excited about the democratic candidate as the rest of the party.  I will vote for him, because his platform certainly aligns more with my values than the alternative - but passion does not accompany my vote.

So, in the thick of this election season, let us hope that when the Republicans come to town, Minnesotans will show them that we are serious about getting this country back on track and are ready to have civil, rational conversations about how to do so.  There is no point in continuing this fruitless 'he said-she said' back and forth.

I guess this is my charge, to all Americans, rather than widening the gap that divides us - let us come together as one.  Not as a nation with unified beliefs (that is not America's intent), but as a nation with a unified goal to prosper and and not leave its own behind.

No comments: