4.12.2009

Has the tide turned?

I've had this renewed sense of love of country this week.  For the past two weeks now there has been a seemingly stark shift in momentum in favor of equality.  Everyday I woke up to new positive developments.  Developments that had I read were happening six months ago, I would have assumed I was reading the Onion.

Being the news junkie that I am, I take in most of the programs that contribute to the political discourse of our nation.  If I miss the live airing, I'm almost certain to find out what happened online.  A information addict I am.  

What has been happening on the national news channels (with the exception of Fox News) has been the main reason for my newfound optimism.  The release of the $1.5 million ad from the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) filled with hate-filled rhetoric inspired a burage of responses from every corner of the country - some shown the ridiculous nature of the ad while others refuted the attacks line by line.

The spokespeople of NOM were on the airwaves defending their bigoted position.  On every show that I was able to see the respective hosts challenged the spokespeople, generally to the point of telling them just how wrong they were - it felt good.

I leave you with a clip from the Thom Hartman radio show.  He is taking on NOM executive director Brian Brown.  Enjoy listening to Brown make no sense and talk in circles  - I did!  I genuinely think that we live in a different country than we did in November.  It seems that the norm is trending to be on the correct side of this issue.



No comments: