10.27.2008

Withdrawal on the horizon

Can you believe it?  Only one week left.  Most people are anticipating the day when they can wake up and not worry about having to mute political ads.  They can turn on the news and hear stories other than the latest attacks and polls.  They will be less worried about getting annoyed with the constant use of such phrases as, "spreading the wealth," "third term for Bush," "Wall street to main street," "Joe the plumber," or the dreaded "maverick." 

Well, I have to admit that I'm not in this group of people who are counting down the days until this election is over.  I have invested countless hours of my life into this historical election - two years, really!  I feel as though many of the journalists and contributors are like family, I look forward to waking up in the morning and hearing their analyses of yesterday and their predictions for the day ahead.  I get giddy when Chuck Todd or John King has a new poll to share with us at 7:00 p.m. Eastern, complete with data on every minority.  And of course, we all feel better when David Gergen blesses our candidate with a positive assessment of his or her performance.

I know that I don't stand with many when I say that I am going to miss all of this, but it's true - I will certainly go through a bit of withdrawal over the next few weeks.  I'm reminded of the OJ Simpson trial.  People were obsessed with it!  They watched the proceedings and compared their own thoughts with the analyses of the various commentators (i.e. Greta Van Sustren).  I recall going to confirmation class when the trial was over and my pastor saying, "You'll have to bear with me, I'm going through OJ withdrawal."  I now understand, Pastor John.

As the masses rejoice in this final week, anticipating the close of the election HQ's - it will be bitter sweet for me.  Hopefully our country will elect "change we can believe in," and get things back on track.  I will truly rejoice in that, but I will need some time to adjust to my new life, a life without Paul Begala and James Carville.  I know there will be more elections and all of my favorite contributors will certainly be on giving their take on current political climates.  But you have to wonder...will it ever be the same?

So when Wednesday, November 5, rolls around and we are hopefully celebrating a victory for change - you'll have to bear with me, I'll be going through election withdrawal.

No comments: