2.01.2008

The Dream Team

The democratic presidential debate in South Carolina was depressing, to say the least. It was extremely negative with each candidate attacking the other on pointless issues. It resembled an elementary schoolyard squabble more than a presidential debate. It made me so uncomfortable at times I had to look away as I witnessed my beloved party falling apart being my eyes. I had visions of 2004; an election the democrats should have won, but didn't because the party couldn't get its act together and the campaign was a joke at best.

Thursday evening's debate was polar opposite of that South Carolina debate. As I watched the Senators Clinton and Obama discuss the issues like grown, intellectual adults, I began to get that feeling in my stomach. That feeling when you know you have something firm to stand beside. I've always been an idealist at heart - the debate in California stoked that idealism that was barely hanging on by embers within me. I could feel the excitement around the country from my couch in my living room - change in the right direction is on the horizon.

So are these two Senators going to run together? Who knows. I would say though that it certainly doesn't seem to be as impossible as it might have a week ago. CNN's Wolf Blizter asked them if it was a possibility. They didn't say it was, but the important thing is that they didn't say it wasn't.

I think the best way to get this country back on track is with Senator Clinton as the president and Senator Obama as the vice president. They each bring to the table a multitude of talents. In the most simple analysis: Clinton with the knowledge; Obama with the inspiration.

In a few short days we may see if this dream team comes together.

Photo from CNN.com

2 comments:

Christa.Modderman@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Casey said...

Thanks - I'm glad you do!!