12.19.2008

Not a policy issue, a human issue

No one is perfect.  It seems that when you might think someone is perfect, there always comes a time when you realize that in fact he or she is just like everyone else: not perfect.

This recent revelation has shown itself to me in President-Elect Obama.  It happened yesterday as he was addressing questions related to the selection of Pastor Rick Warren as the person to give the invocation at the inauguration.  

I should point out that it was not the sheer fact that Pastor Warren was chosen that elicited this revelation.  While I certainly was a little disappointed because I do not believe that a person who holds Pastor Warren's beliefs does anything to unite people, but rather divides more starkly than most.  I was disappointed because Pastor Warren was one of the biggest proponents of Proposition 8 in California and likens gay relationships to that of incest and polygamy - to men, this is not someone who should be celebrated by a campaign largely guided on the message of unity.  However, I didn't think his selection was the end of the world and in some regards I think I do understand what the President-Elect might be trying to do with this decision.

My disappointment came yesterday as President-Elect Obama said, in relation to gay rights, that, "we can disagree on policy issues." 

This is when I realized that he doesn't get it, just as so many people don't get it.  There is still this notion that there is something to disagree with in terms of what or who people are.  Imagine if Pastor Warren would have replaced the word "gay" in his hate-filled statements with "black."  Hard to believe?  Well, it wasn't that long ago that statements like that were made and if they were said today - they would not be accepted.

So, I come back to what I've been saying lately.  At the heart of this isn't a policy issue - it's a human issue.  The debate must move away from whether homosexuality is right or wrong.  This isn't something people choose, this isn't something people can change.  It shouldn't be open for debate as there is nothing we can do about it!  Once the conversation moves from this "right or wrong"/"agree or disagree" nonsense, perhaps some progress can be made.  Once people realize that gay individuals are humans who love, perhaps we can put aside the unproductive and hateful rhetoric that gets us nothing but division.

I want to clarify that I do think President-Elect Obama will do many good things on behalf of the GLBT people in America.  In the same press conference he said that he is a "fierce advocate" for equality.  I do believe this and I think that he understands he must choose his words carefully in these times of extreme division that are created by Rick Warren and the like.  Mr. Obama is such a rational person that it's hard to believe he doesn't support same-sex marriage; rational people understand that it is indeed the right thing to do and the world will not come to an end.  But he's clearly aware that he would not have been elected if he would have said that.

So, is President-Elect Obama perfect?  Of course not, and he would be the first to admit it.  Does he really understand what is at the heart of this issue and why it stings us gays so much to hear a debate on our rights?  It's hard to say, but his words, and the words of many others, appear to show that he and they do not.

I'm glad that the dialogue about this choice of Pastor Warren remains in the media days after its announcement.  While I may not be as outraged as others, I think it is important that everyone understand why people are so upset.  For me it is as simple as this:  People who hold and express divisive, hateful views should not be rewarded.

No comments: